You Will Need:
Thanksgiving Herb Blend, 1-2 containers, finely chopped
Turkey, 1 each, 15-20 lbs, thawed
Garlic, 4 ½ oz, chopped plus 1 whole head
Butter, ½ stick
Chicken Broth, 2 each 14 oz cans
Flour, ¼ cup
Onion, 1 medium, chopped
Carrots, 1 medium, chopped
Celery, 2 stalks, chopped
Salt, ¼ cup
Recipe Serves: 10-12
1. In a large pot mix one container of herb blend with salt. Fill pot half way with water and stir to dissolve the salt. Place unwrapped turkey in pot and add more water to cover. Place pot in the refrigerator covered with a lid and let turkey brine over night.
2. Take bird out of brine and rinse off under running water. Thoroughly rinse out inside of the cavity and pat dry with paper towels. Tuck wings under so that they are not sticking out and are lying flat on the back of turkey. Mix butter, chopped garlic and one container of chopped herbs in a bowl.
3. Rub butter mixture all over turkey, getting in between the skin and meat. Stuff bird with carrot, onion, and celery. Cover with foil and place in a heavy duty baking pan. Pour chicken broth in the bottom of the baking pan. Take the whole head of garlic and wrap in foil for the turkey gravy mentioned in third step.
4. Place turkey in a 325°F oven and cook for about 4 hours. Baste turkey with juices every ½ hour. Remove foil and bake for 2 more hours. Place whole garlic head in oven.
5. When bird is fully cooked and browned remove garlic head and save pan drippings to equal 3 cups with limited fat ( if needed add broth to pan drippings to equal 3 cups with broth). In medium pot heat pan drippings and roasted garlic. Whisk in flour 1 Tbsp at a time until gravy forms.
Recipes and Pictures by Chefs Elizabeth Camilo and Katie Reineberg